Sunday, 30 January 2011

slowly but surely

Cookie A patterns can be quite challenging and I've already learnt two new techniques and I'm only 2" done!

Firstly I've been making stitches while purling- I've been lifting the bar between stitches and then either purling the lifted stitch at the the front or through the back loop (tbl) Now, I've knit tbl but I've never purled tbl, and man that's hard on teeny tiny needles! I've been having to use a skinny crochet hook to create the tiny space to push the needle tbl purlwise. It seems to be working, but it's slower than just knitting tbl!

Secondly I've been cabling a three strand cable, 2 stitches brought forward, 2 stitches to the back then knit tbl the next two sts, purl the two at the back and knit tbl the first pair. This feels quite hard to hold two sep cable needles as well as the 4 dpns. I know that in theory that I could cable without using cable needles, but I'm not going to risk it! It's engrossing so I'm not knitting on this while watching anything complex.

This week's complex must see TV is a Danish crime story called The Killing  ("Forbrydelsen") which is subtitled so I have to keep my eyes on the screen, and has a very interesting plot so I can't predict whodunnit. The series is 20 x 1 hour eps so there's plenty time for many plot twists. I'm so glad that the BBC is showing this, even though I can't make any progress on my Rhombus socks while watching it. I did manage to get a bit done on my Landgirls top though- I can just about manage 2x2 rib while reading subtitles.

3 comments:

Silvia said...

The Sock Pattern sound complicated but you are an experienced knitter so you can do it. Shaking my PomPoms for you ala cheerleader thingy

Minding My Own Stitches said...

There are some lovely patterns out there but, boy, the finicky stitches can get a bit tiresome. You'll get quicker on the ptbls, but you may want to schedule some ribbing or garter stitch to clear your head after these socks are done.

Your Mom's going to love that sweater in that yarn. It's sure to be appreciated whenever it's ready1

Anonymous said...

Usually if a pattern tells me to purl tbl, I put the pattern away.
If it's a pattern with just a few, it's OK.
I admire your stamina. I always thought I was having difficulty with purl tbl because I knit the continental way. Have you tried slipping the stitch, twisting it and putting it back on left needle to purl?