The latest BBC drama Call the Midwife, based on the memoirs of a new young midwife Jenny Lee (Jennifer Worth) in London in 1957, is a gripping moving tale, full of sentiment but not sentimental. It was tough in postwar Britain, giving birth could be fraught with danger, midwives did a tremendous job in caring for the mothers-to-be and in bringing new life to the world.
Even these days with ultrasound scans and localised pain relief giving birth is a demanding exhausting process and a happy outcome is not guaranteed. I was really grateful that the midwives supporting my two pregnancies were so good at their jobs and that J1 and J2 were delivered safely.
I'm impressed with the acting in Call the Midwife: Jenny Agutter, Pam Ferris and Judy Parfitt (all playing nuns) are on top form as you would expect, Jessica Raine as the lead Jenny Lee is totally believable, but the surprise of the show is Miranda Hart (best known for her comedy roles) who is tremendous as Chummy Browne.
I've made good progress on my landgirls top as I've been watching this, despite being in floods of tears while I'm watching!
Even these days with ultrasound scans and localised pain relief giving birth is a demanding exhausting process and a happy outcome is not guaranteed. I was really grateful that the midwives supporting my two pregnancies were so good at their jobs and that J1 and J2 were delivered safely.
I'm impressed with the acting in Call the Midwife: Jenny Agutter, Pam Ferris and Judy Parfitt (all playing nuns) are on top form as you would expect, Jessica Raine as the lead Jenny Lee is totally believable, but the surprise of the show is Miranda Hart (best known for her comedy roles) who is tremendous as Chummy Browne.
I've made good progress on my landgirls top as I've been watching this, despite being in floods of tears while I'm watching!

2 comments:
Sounds like a great series! I'm considering getting BBC's Sherlock Season One on Apple TV. It's getting rave reviews!
I haven't been following this series, but now I know what it's about I might give it a go, it sounds excellent
Post a Comment