Sunday, 22 July 2012

Allez Wiggo!

What a brilliant Tour it has been!                                
Bradley Wiggins became the first British rider to win the TdF in its 99 year history. He is an awesome athlete and a gentleman to boot: when some of the riders were affected by carpet tacks being thrown on the road and causing 20+ punctures (stage 14) he slowed the peloton down to allow last year's winner Cadel Evans to catch up.
He worked hard today on the final stage to ensure that Mark Cavendish won the sprint on the Champs Elysees. He has not only won the maillot jaune with style and class, he's also become a hero to the French because he respects the race and its history.
It's been fantastic to watch him, Froome (who came 2nd), Cavendish and the rest of the Sky team. It's amazing to see British lads come 1st and 2nd, and another Briton (Cav) win the final stage. That's Cavendish's 4th win in Paris and his 23rd stage win in the TdF in 4 years. Amazing, unbelievable, wonderful stuff. It's the 100th anniversary next year and I would love to be in France next year for any of the stages. I can dream.

I've not finished my Lilybet socks though- I thought I would get the first sock finished today but realised I'd made a mistake and had to rip back an inch on the foot. Then when I was watching the live coverage it was too exciting to be able to concentrate on my sticks and string so I had to put my knitting to one side. Hopefully I'll get this pair finished before the end of the olympics. Our cyclists are in action next weekend too. Allez Wiggo! C'mon Cav!!

No comments: