He is red though, and there's a lot of red imagery in "A Tale of Two Cities" by Dickens, so I might have to call him Jacques.
I enjoy the downloads from CraftLit so much that I'm trawling my way through the back catalogue, listening to 2 or 3 episodes per day.
I'm feeling so knackered today ( I had to have a nap after church, haven't done that in a while), so I haven't done any more knitting on my jacket, I've just finished the apple and I've listened to a lot.
The description of the storming of the Bastille is horrific ( July 14 th, 1789), and its difficult to think there was so much bloodshed for a handful of prisoners. Not that I have any sympathy for the Aristos.
When we were on holiday in the Pays de Basque in 2005, we saw a wonderful firework display over the bay at St Jean de Luz. So much like our own Guy Fawkes night , celebrating the execution of
Dickens does a wonderful job of comparing and contrasting the angry mobs in London with the angry mobs in Paris... both flowed like a tide, but the Parisian Jacques' were more organised and more hungry. the podcasts are great, and Heather Ordover does a great job of drawing out the themes, and giving background information. You can tell she was once a Eng Lit teacher at High School!
Its only by listening to this have I realised that its one of the few Dickens that I've not read, although I probably have seen parts of the film version(s). There's other stuff in CraftLit's back catalogue that I want to check "the Turn of the Screw" as I never could get into Henry James, even though my flat mate at Uni, Polly, tried to persuade me, and "Tristan and Isolde", again on Polly's hit list.
So this is the progress so far on the jacket, just starting the sleeve, and maybe if I'm more awake tomorrow I might get a bit more done.
No comments:
Post a Comment