Saturday, 28 November 2009

cold comfort

Cold
I spent Friday afternoon selling craft items for my pal's daughter (who is also going to Kenya with my son)- I hadn't planned on doing this, as I was supposed to be selling stuff for him today, but she was unable to attend the Fri craft fair, and J2 volunteered our services.

All well and good until we realised that our stall was outside, not inside! We wore our thermals, wrapped up really well,  drank lots of hot coffee to keep warm and were very grateful that it was a dry (if chilly) afternoon.

After 4 hours we had sold £13 of cards and notebooks! Not a great success!

Comfort
So today, despite having a hot bath and 12 hours sleep, I was aching and tired and couldn't make the other fair, so J1 and J2 went without me (and thankfully they were inside!!).
Overall the fair was pretty busy and raised quite a bit for Mission International- although my handstamped, handpainted cards didn't exactly fly off the stall.

The felted toys which Amanda (Feltfinland) had sent to us to raise funds could have been sold several times over though.
There was a lot of oohing and ahhing over her designs and craftsmanship (which is perfectly understandable as her work is fab!).
I might have done better if I'd made more knitted flower brooches like these two which I'd made for J2 and me. J2 said that the jewelry, felted bags and handknits, home baking, sweets & jams went quite well today. (and apparently last year was great for handmade cards!!)
I hadn't realised that there were such distinct trends /variations in craft sales - but then I'm a novice at this. Who knows what will be a big seller next year?


2 comments:

Silvia said...

Yes handmade is flying out the door...specially the 'old fashioned' craftings...like sewing crochet and knitting Items...but you can just never tell from one fair to another

Cytel said...

I have had huge sucess with felted flower brooches the last 3 years. People seem to love them, and they are affordable... make some for your next sale. And good luck.