Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Shrove Tuesday

means pancakes! yay!

Jen has chocolate sauce on hers, D has strawberry jam and I go for the classic combo of sugar and lemon juice. yumyum!

I only had to make about half the normal amount of batter this year as no.1 child did not grace us with his presence, not even for the prospect of pancakes. So I only had to cook 7 pancakes, not a huge amount at all. It must have been hectic for my Mam when we were kids as she had to fill my three hungry brothers and my Dad with pancakes. Still, she worked as cook for Durham University and was used to cooking for 300 at a time. Feeding a family of 6 must have seemed so easy in comparison!
I'm making good progress on her Seraphina sweater (as long as I don't knit it while watching subtitled Danish TV!). I love the way the scallop shell lace pattern emerges. I think I'm about a third of the way through the front of the sweater now.

The Dales cowl is coming on nicely too. This is the first time that I've knitted homespun and I'm enjoying working with it. I'm very impressed with Erin's spinning ! 

This Dales cowl is going to get plenty of wear. It's March, so the weather is confusing. This morning we had brilliant sunshine, and I saw a bumblebee in my garden. But there was an icy breeze so it was only about 4C. The bumblebee didn't hang about for long! Later on we had rain and now snow is forecast for the hills tonight. Hopefully it will bypass us, but it does mean that the daytime temperatures will be low,so I'd better crack on with my cowl.

Anyway, as I'm full of pancakes, all I can do tonight is sit and knit.
That's the best excuse that I can come up  with! 

4 comments:

Cristina Salgueiro said...

Hummmm, love pancakes, expecially the ones that i don't make, mine aways comes weird :(
You Seraphina sweater is looking great, and the scallop shell pattern is very beautiful, please do not feel distracted by the TV you are doing a great job.
By the way, can you give me you email. It is just that everytime i want to reply to your comments, i can't. And i would love to!!
Mine is salgueiro.c@gmail.com
Thank you

WildflowerWool said...

Both of your projects look like they are knitting up nicely. I agree with you about the March weather, snow, rain, sun....but spring is on the way!!

Silvia said...

I had some Slimming World Pancakes today...all i can say....DON'T!! Better put on weight or not have any at all

Minding My Own Stitches said...

We haven't done the pancake thing since grade school :) In Canada we're probably spoiled though, with an abundance of really yummy maple syrup for those pancakes!