Saturday, 1 October 2011

Pitlochry Pomatomus

We've had an unseasonal bout of warm sunny weather this week- the temps in Scotland soaring above 20C (24C in other parts of the UK) which made it too warm to do anything to Seraphina.
But I had a knitting itch that needed to be scratched so the Araucania wool bought in Pitlochry was wound into a ball and I began to look for a pattern. My first thought was to make another pair of Cookie A's Monkey socks, but then I felt that the purpley/green shades were water inspired rather than vegetation-like, so I thought about doing Wedge. Still not sure, I put the ball of wool to one side, after all this warm spell probably wouldn't last and Seraphina would get going again.
Then on Wednesday, while I was walking my dog by the river, Pomatomus popped into my head. I decided that the scaley pattern would look great in purpley/green and it would remind me of my day trip to Pitlochry when I ate in The Fishers Hotel and walked by the fish ladder by the dam.
So a bit late to the party (well, the pattern was published in Knitty in 2005- but I wasn't even knitting then let alone knitting socks) I've cast on and I'm enjoying watching the scales appear.
The temperatures will drop again and I'll have to divide my time between Seraphina and Pomatomus- but what a lovely choice to have!

2 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

It's a lovely pattern - yours are going to be fab in that gorgeous yarn. I went wrong the first time at the instep and it's impossible to frog, so I'd suggest a lifeline there just to err on the safe side.

paula said...

Enlarged the pattern and saw the scales . . . nice design and the yarn is perfect for it.