Last week I lifted inside 3 large potted palm plants to improve their chances of survival over the winter. Two of the palms looked like they wouldn't last the week, but one looked OK. I checked the outside of the pots for insects and webs, brushed them down ,weeded them and stood them on large saucer like bases.
Yesterday morning I noticed that my son's jacket ( which was hanging next to the pots) had an interesting new decoration of wavy shiny lines over it.
I was pre
tty sure he hadn't rejected noughties indie music in favour of 7o's glam rock ( foolish boy! who can beat the incomparable Slade*, TRex Sweet or Mud? Must dig out my vinyl and listen to "Cum on Feel the Noize" again) so I had to conclude that the sliding beasties had invaded my house. Somehow they had hidden in the soil and had bided their time before making a break for it.
tty sure he hadn't rejected noughties indie music in favour of 7o's glam rock ( foolish boy! who can beat the incomparable Slade*, TRex Sweet or Mud? Must dig out my vinyl and listen to "Cum on Feel the Noize" again) so I had to conclude that the sliding beasties had invaded my house. Somehow they had hidden in the soil and had bided their time before making a break for it. The cupboard next to the plant pots is where I keep the wine, spirits and beer so presumably that was their destination. Having given them a taste for beer they were taken advantage of their relocation and were heading for a drop of the hard stuff.
I checked the pots again, after I cleaned my sons jacket of course, I couldn't let him go to school looking like a 70's throwback, not without silver glitter platform boots anyway. Still no sign of the sliding slithering beer-crazed monsters. so I had to wait till after 11pm, when the house was dark and I could catch them in the act.
I debated whether to put a saucer of beer on the floor to lure them out but then I was concerned that the slugs outside would try to beat down the door to get in and I would be knee deep in the bl***y things. Ugh what a thought.
Darkness would have to do. ( Not The Darkness, I don't like their faux rock stance.)
At 11.15 I carefully opened the living room door into the darkened hall and sure enough there were two medium sized slugs sliding down the sides of the pots. Hah! I disposed of them and then wondered if there were more slugs lying in wait behind this advance party. Only one thing for it, I liberally poured salt in the saucers around the pots. It's a horrible death for them, but die they must. and die they die, two more slugs melting away when I checked this morning and my beer is safe.
*I'm delighted to see that the boys are still going strong and have a massive tour planned. shame they they are not coming to Scotland. Must find that vinyl .
1 comment:
Yuck! Thankfully all we get inside are woodlice and spiders (and winged creatures of course) which my cat preys on and kills. But slugs and snails seem to love hanging around our rabbit and guinea pig hutches...I hate finding them inside the hutches...yuck! When it gets really bad I have salted the area, the problem is I feel so guilty about it!
Post a Comment