Monday, 12 April 2010

at last! a golden host!

Spring has been a long time coming to Scotland, but it is finally here...yippee!!

Easter weekend was dry but still cool and the daffodils in my garden were refusing to open, but this weekend they are radiant and triumphant. Sat/Sun were very warm around 17C, (63F) and the warmth seems to be continuing, today was the first time this year that I've been able to walk the dog without needing to wear a coat or jacket!

In the woods I saw 5 butterflies, frogspawn on the ponds (but no frogs, they're either exhausted from their exertions or the herons have scoffed them already), bumble bees, a wasp, wood anemones  and creeping jenny in flower and the snowdrops have faded away.

I've just put a bee house (not a hive, sadly, as we can't have those) in the garden as a home for a solitary bee- either a bumble bee or a mason bee whichever I can catch first, so that I can have my own pollinator on site and hopefully get the pear blossom to  set fruit this year

I'm nearly finished Crazy Waves, I'm now at the sewing up stage, and now that I've found a buckle that I like, I can make the belt, which is great as this will be a very useful garment for Spring.

I got a bit stuck making the flowers for the Primrose gloves as there was a tiny mistake in the instructions. It read "cast on with CC", in my case, the pink regia, but it should have said MC, the navy regia, using the wrong colour to start meant that the lattice pattern wasn't different from the flower, and the CC is duplicate stitched on top of the MC.
 One letter wrong caused me a lot of confusion, but thanks to Ravelry it was quickly resolved. I know that if I was a more experienced knitter I would have realised what the mistake was. Oh well. I do know now, and I'll sew the pink wool over the navy wool in this lovely bright sunlight.

I finally bit the bullet last week and decided to stop fighting the grey by dyeing my hair brown and instead have a mix of highlights and lowlights put in professionally.
It was a most bizarre experience, I've never had colour woven through my hair before, and with so many polythene strips in my hair I looked like a spare alien from Dr Who!
My hair looks sunkissed now, but maybe if I'd waited I would have got that effect this week!

Probably not, this lovely weather is unlikely to last, so I shall enjoy it while I can.

Now- off to catch a bee!

3 comments:

Silvia said...

Yay for propper spring! It seems lovelyness is springing up all over the place...so nice and warm.
Like you I have decided to stop fighting the 'Grey' but I shall deal with it in a little more dramatic fashion. I have decided that as soon as the last of my dye has gone from my Hair and all the white/grey is out I shall have some Black put in....lol so not quiet grwoing old gracefully...more like disgracefully...lol

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Thank goodness you're finally getting some nice weather. You had a brutal winter, while we've been spoiled!

paula said...

so glad spring has shown it's lovely head in Scotland . . . it has made our bulbs grow . . our front garden is ablaze in purple and yellow . . daffodils, hyacinths and anemones. the pasque flower bloomed it's first blooms on Easter Sunday and is so fullnow . . and the little guem has two or three little orange flowers trying to open . .no bees yet, but they will be here when it gets warmer.

what is the bee "thing" you put in your yard? it sounds interesting.