Thursday, 8 July 2010

Pulpo Paulo

or Paul the Octopus, if you prefer, correctly predicted that Spain would beat Germany in the second semifinal, and had correctly predicted all of Germany's results so far.

I wish had believed him as I was convinced that Germany would storm to their way to the final, but it was not to be. A single goal from Puyol was enough to stop them.

I think that a lot of the UK was delighted and impressed with the German team and had started to forget the old rivalry and start to show a new found respect for Germany. And as most of us can't remember 1966 (I was 5 at the time and not into football then) perhaps it is time to move on. I just wish the football commentators would too!

So it's Holland vs Spain on sunday and neither team has won the World Cup, so it's still pretty exciting.

1 comment:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I was rooting for the Germans :(

We heard a lot of commentary about the youth and inexperience of the team, so I thought they did quite well. Also, we heard that the Germans had invested a lot of $$$ in youth leagues to encourage the sport, which seems to have paid off.

For sentimental reasons I'll be with the Dutch. My Mom and Dad both emigrated to Canada from Holland after the war.