Monday, 9 June 2008

weight to go!

I hadn't realised how heavy Mimi would be when I got to the back. Both fronts are on the needle, with extra stitches in the middle to create the neck , and the needles feel really heavy to hold. I knew I would be knitting slower because of twice the number of stitches ( at least) but the additional weight surprises me. It may be a long time before I knit anything for D or J1!!

I got a copy of "The Pilgrim's Progress" to read, while listening along to "Little Women" and the use of language is fascinating. I can see why it was the book in everyone's home, alongside their Bible, as it pulls no punches about how difficult it is to follow the Christian Way.

Then funnily enough, today's Craftlit has the 4 girls going to sit in the hillside dressed in their pilgrim's clothes as if they were playing a game when they were younger. They are trying to put the lessons from the Pilgrim into practice.

Alongside "Little Women", "The Turn of the Screw" has been grabbing my attention. I think it's not a ghost story at all but a story of madness. The governess seems totally bonkers and manipulative to me, and reminds me of people that I know who have mental health problems ( in the common parlance, but really they are nuts). Still, its compelling to listen to.



However, I won't be tracking down anymore knitting detective stories by Maggie Sefton ("Knit One, Kill Two") It was an interesting thought, but not didn't have enough meat for me. I will take the knitting pattern and the cinnamon roll recipe out of the back though!!


I'm getting quite engrossed in putting the scrapbook together, and getting lots of input and suggestions from all kinds of people. Probably just as well I'm not bothered by Euro 2008. The opening ceremony was great, but the football is not grabbing my attention at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta say: I think the mouse king is shallow. Seriously. Not that anyone would ever think that royalty is shallow. Or likely to choose something just to make the pain go away. Not that this relates to Little Women or anything.

I love your comments, Suse - rock on!