Monday, 1 December 2008

Advent..

more than a calendar*, for me.
The countdown to Christmas has begun, the tree calendar is on the wall with chocolate in each pocket for my two kids. One year I spent ages in Jenners' toy department getting tiny toys (power balls, toy soldiers, crayons, magnetic bugs all kinds of things) to go in each pocket for J1. He was not impressed. So, for once I caved in to pester power and now they can have a small sweetie everyday.
This must be the 10th year that we've used this calendar and the kids love to see it go up. The full-on decorations won't go up till the 14th-ish. (I'm so mean!)
The knitted advent tree wont get finished this year (no, really?), so I'm using a small artificial tree to put the deccies on. The kids are taking turns, J1 gets odd numbered days and J2 gets even. Even the main tree is artificial, as we found out when J1 was small that he has an allergy to pine resin, which is not good for a violinist, so, I had to get him some special non-pine resin roisin for his bow. Thankfully this type of allergy is easily dealt with.
I love the build up to Christmas, I love hearing the kids practise their carols, I love seeing the Church nativity play, I love the feeling of hope and generosity in the air. Most people do seem to be kinder to others at this time of year, which is wonderful. It isn't the most important occasion, Easter is more serious and meaningful. Christmas is more about hope and promises, amazing acts of generosity and kindness.
*the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams has said that people have largely forgotten what Advent means and think of chocolate calendars instead of the coming of the Christ-child. He has a point.

2 comments:

FeltFinland said...

I love the build up too - E announced this morning 'It's Christmas now!' To her December is Christmas!
I love the advent calender and can't wait to see the knitted one!
Merry Christmas!!
Amanda

Sheila said...

I love the kids chatting about christmas and the school plays and yes The Archbishop of Canterbury does make a valued point, but try telling kids that lol....