Sunday, 5 July 2009

champion! x 3

Champion 1

is of course Roger Federer who won a record breaking 15th grand slam today, beating Andy Roddick 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 16-14 .
The match was epic in length if not as thrilling as last year's final against Nadal.

Roddick was brilliant and had the chance to go two sets up in the first tiebreak, but Federer won 6 straight points to take the second set. Federer only broke Roddick's serve once, in the final set, whereas Roddick broke Federer's 3 times. It was very very close.

Most of the UK was rooting for Roddick (we British always support the underdog) and it was a great match played in front of some of the games greats Borg, Sampras, Nastase, Santana & Laver (Becker & MacEnroe were commentating for the BBC).

Bjorn Borg is still incredibly good looking (I used to swoon over him when I was a teenager, ahem) so I'm trying to persuade D to grow his hair in the same shoulder length style ;-).

It was fab seeing all the celebs at Wimbledon too: Sir Alex Ferguson, Michael Ballack, David Coulthard, Woody Allen, Russell Crowe, Sir Trevor MacDonald, Mervyn King (the Gov. of the Bank of England) & Henry Kissinger! What a line up in a crowd of only 15,000!

Champion 2

I've finished Passionflower and I think it looks champion (which is Geordie-speak for great!). Even though the tennis was a very long match (4 hrs 17 mins) it was not quite long enough to finish all the sewing up, I had to do that while watching Cold Case and CSI.

But it is done now and I'm very pleased with it & hopefully I'll get my wraparound skirt done this week while J2 is away.

Champion 3

J1 has gone away for a week, and as J2 went yesterday D and I have 5 peaceful days (happy happy joy joy!) with only the dog to keep us company. D is at work so my days are my own- oh the things I am going to do this week! The list is as long as my arm and then some.

I will make time to watch some of the Tour de France though. My bruv M has been in the amateur étape 3 times ( He's in his 50's too- he's totally mad!). On the rest day for the pro cyclists, one of the actual routes is open for about 8,000 amateur cyclists and supported by the proper race officials, the roads are closed etc. M has entered the stages for the Pyrenees, the French Alps and the stage which was on the south coast of England.

One day I hope to be able to watch some of the stages , but until then I'll savour it on TV, and maybe next year, if I get the knack of spinning I'll join the Tour de Fleece (on Ravelry). That would be champion!

2 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Passionflower looks great! And done in plenty of time for Barcelona. Congratulations!

Liz's Knitting said...

Lovely top! You should be very proud of yourself!! I never make anything for me... :(