Sunday, 26 July 2009

joy of six!

Mark Cavendish won his sixth stage today on the Champs Elyseés, and now is the most successful Briton having won 9 stages of the Tour de France so far. He is so bloomin' fast! I love his cheeky grin too, he really loves his sport.

Alberto Contador won the maillot jaune, he is a sweet unassuming man, and no doubt will have lots more success in the Tour.

Lance Armstrong was in 3rd, which is astounding as he's been retired for 3 years and only trained seriously for a year. He is hoping to build his own team for next year, he wants that yellow shirt back so badly. That will be interesting to see!

The UK's other success was Bradley Wiggins, who won 3 gold medals in Beijing for pursuit cycling, lost 6 kilo and swapped disciplines to road racing. He came a very creditable 4th and could well be aiming for the podium next year.


The tour is a fascinating mix of individual and team skills, testing different physiques over mountains and time trials and makes riveting viewing. I can see why many Ravelers have been spinning to it in their own Tour de Fleece- maybe I'll join in next year . Meanwhile I've been working on Cassie, trying not to get tangled in my crochet hook when the cycling has been too exciting. The lacey part is finished and now onto the solid bodice which is just trebles.

I'm determined to finish this even though the weather in Scotland rarely lends itself to tops like this. If it's finished and in my wardrobe I might remember to pack it next year as this year having raced to finish Passionflower I forgot to pack it (duh!!!).

No comments: