Wednesday, 12 August 2009

get yer skates on!

My bruv and his kids are up for a short holiday and we decided to take the kids to Murrayfield ice rink yesterday. His kids have their own skates as he takes them to Doncaster Dome every Sunday.

I hired some boots for J2 but I planned to sit & do some knitting while I watched them skating . I didn't think I'd have the energy to skate but after about half an hour of feeling envious, I exchanged my spectator ticket for a skater ticket and hired some boots for myself !

I managed to totter round the rink once and then took a break. After 15 minutes I went round twice again. I was going to come off the ice but J2 realised we only had 10 minutes skating time left, so we two went round twice again! I managed 5 laps and 5 rounds on my sock - brilliant!

It was wonderful to be skating again, if only in short bursts. It's 5 or 6 years since I used to take J2 skating every Saturday, & I used to go to the over 25s session on Tuesday mornings (that must be 8-9 years ago) when J2 was a little tot and at Nursery class.

Thankfully my bruv drove us back and I felt OK last night, but I'm paying for it today, so while they are off to East Links Family Park (it's one of my fave places too!) I'm staying in with my feet up, heat pads on my legs , a mug of coffee beside me, and crochet hook to the ready.

Still, it was wonderful to be skating yesterday & I should be ready for action tomorrow!

2 comments:

Liz's Knitting said...

I used to love ice skating! I keep asking for OH to take me esp as we live in a city with a rink!!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

We're lucky enough to have an outdoor rink quite near. It's lovely to skate on clear winter evenings under the stars. Lovely that you can spend time like this together as a family.