Monday, 21 June 2010

better to give

Our eldest child is going to University in September, (Glasgow Caledonian) and will have to fend for himself, foodwise, so he has been getting to grips with cooking now that his exams are over. When he did FCT (Food and Consumer tech) 3 years ago he was a very capable cook, but hasn't done much since.

During the week he cooked mince (ground beef) and potatoes and on Sunday he made a Father's day brunch. He made the bread rolls, then transformed them into bacon rolls, and also baked banana muffins. I'm not sure he would cook this as a student, but it was a good attempt at making two different items and getting them ready at the same time. And very tasty it was too! Well done son, and one happy Dad, result!

One of my knitting friends, Erin, got married at the beginning of June, and although I couldn't get the present ready for her bridal shower, she did get it before their first wedding anniversary! I knitted 4 washcloths for her and her new hubby Willis and also sent them two teatowels with crazy Scots phrases on them,  "Dinnae fash yerself" and "wee scunner" being two very useful expressions for farmers!
I like trying new techniques and practised  a longtail cast on for one washcloth(3rd from left) and slipped stitches for two others (2nd and 4th).

The World Cup continues to shock and surprise: New Zealand drew 1-1 with Italy (the current holders), and Italy's penalty was highly dubious, Australia drew 1-1 with Ghana, despite being down to 10 men, Cameroon 1-2 Denmark making denmark the first to qualify for the knockout stages and Cameroon the first to be eliminated, which was a shame as they took the lead with a scintillating goal from Samuel Eto'o. Brazil 3-1 Ivory Coast was more expected, as was Netherlands 1-0 Japan and Slovakia 0-2 Paraguay.

But the off the pitch drama continues as Nicolas Anelka got sent home for swearing at his coach, and the rest of the French team refused to train and the former England capt John Terry (stripped of the captaincy for an alleged affair with a team mate's partner) tried to create a revolt in England camp but it seemed to fizzle out. Typical! The French build barricades of jabulanis and vuvuzelas in true revolutionary fashion (metaphorically, in case anyone starts a web search for photos) and the English revolt is inept.

I give up, I'll have to focus on Wimbledon instead ! (Federer to win again!)

3 comments:

paula said...

I love reading your sports blogs . . . you keep me up on World Cup happenings :0{}

paula

The Frizzy Hooker said...

When I was in college, rice crispy treats were a staple. I learned to make them many different ways.

Silvia said...

At least you can be sure he will eat....erm...something!
As for the Fotty...PFT!!!
(Sorry, just not a fotty fan)