the final preparations are under way for the team of Mission International volunteers heading out to Kenya next week.
Their suitcases are being filled with baby blankets, medical supplies, stationery for schoolkids, spectacles, clothing and sewing kits (and tons of other stuff) and I think that the team have raised the necessary funds (£5,000) for the water tank at Narok, Kenya.
I've bought the biggest bottles of factor 50 suncream that I could find for Jack, as he has a tendency to burn, but still need to get him a sunhat and some flipflops (for the showers). When we get his all of necessary stuff in there should still be some space to pack some more in.
The church in Port Seton collects supplies all year round and many people knit or crochet baby blankets, so I need to crack on with mine for next weekend (they fly out on 11th at 06.00). I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Thankfully there's plenty of sport for me to watch as I knit !
I was amazed that the favourites to win the world cup, Brazil, were knocked out by the Netherlands 2-1, despite scoring the first goal. I felt sorry for Ghana going out on penalties to Uruguay (the score was 1-1 and Ghana missed a pen before extra time and the penalty shoot out and then lost 4-2 on pens )
Then today Germany marmalised Argentina 4-0 playing the most fabulous football of the tournament so far. Argentina have the stars (Messi & tevez) but Germany played as a team, which is important in a team game. The last quarter final is on now, Spain vs Paraguay- which I'll watch when I've blogged.
Wimbledon has been great too- the men's semis yesterday pitted Andy Murray against Rafael Nadal and although Murray played some great stuff Nadal is almost unstoppable and won 6-4, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4. Nadal meets Berdych tomorrow (Berdych knocked out Federer).They have played each other 9 times before and the current score is 6-3 to Nadal, so it should be a great match.
And the Tour De France started today- in Rotterdam. I've not signed up for the Tour de Fleece as I've got too much on at the moment, but I'll enjoy the racing coverage. I'm not going to pick a winner as as so far my predictions have been well off (Brazil to win the World Cup and Federer to win Wimbledon. Oops!)
Bee counting- so how does that work then? I have to walk at a slow steady pace and only count the bees that appear on either side of me within a distance of 2m. I assume that this reduces the chances of double counting a bee, as by the time it has finished on a flower I am at least 10m away from it, whereas the bee will just fly to the next plant and I'm only supposed to pause to identify and record the number of bees. When the bees fly back to their nests (which they do regularily) they head off over the tops of the plants too quickly for me to identify them, so they don't get counted again.
The walk has to be broken down into different sections on the map and the bees recorded within those sections, which again must reduce the chances of double counting- I'm unlikely to see the same bee 30 mins later, 500m away on my walk- the bee will have gone back to its nest to give the pollen to the other bees. This time I noticed that the bees were mostly feeding on borage flowers, and it will be interesting to see what they do in July.
Now- off to the second half of the last of the quarter finals and to knit, knit knit!

3 comments:
I have nothing againts Argentina, but when i saw Maradonna making remarks about....what is your prblem, are you afraid.... i was so pleasead and happy with the shower of goals from Germany!!!!!
I was for Ghana, since the hot models from Portugal went away, but now i think i'm going for Holand, they don't have any tradiction in football, and it will be nice to see a team like that, just to open the eyes to the so super starts teams that think that they have the game won (like Portugal!!!!).
Obscure Word: marmalise
[origin uncertain; perhaps fr. marmalade, after pulverize]
Brit. slang (also marmalize) to thrash; to crush or destroy; also fig.: to defeat decisively
Wow, I had to google that word! But you're right - Argentina was definitely marmalised!
Thanks for explaining the Bee counting...interesting I think.
As for Germany...well I am biased so better say nothing..lol
Post a Comment