Friday, 16 October 2009

Fledging and Fetching

No1 child is off today visiting Birmingham City, the first University Open day that he's signed up for.

He set off at 7 a.m , a 5 hour train journey ahead of him, to have a gander around the School of Acting. Not that he wants to act as such, he wants to do Sound Engineering.

He'd been getting a bit fed up as he searched for courses on sound eng. , not being able to see anything which grabbed his attention. Everyone else seemed to much clearer plans for their future.
Poor kid.

Then in Sept he went to London on a Eng Lit trip, visited the BBC studios and saw Wicked . He raved about this show, about the music , about the staging etc so I said " What about doing a degree in stage management?" He was slightly stunned- " you can do a degree in that??" " yeah, have a look".

And now he has identified 7 different courses in 5 different cities (Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, London, Manchester) and today is the first jaunt. My little (well 6'1") bird is preparing to fledge.

( The Mailbox, shown above, is a revamped shopping centre which he will not be able to shop in! far too pricey! but it looks good)

My third attempt at Fetchings for my friend JE is coming along much better. I'm using Rooster almerino aran in a custary/mustardy yellow. I've started with size 4.o mm dpns for the wrist then changed to 5.5 mm for the hand so that it is a looser fit (to make it easier for her to play the organ/piano while wearing them).

This wool is wonderful, delightful to knit with, no shedding and wonderfully soft, and I think the colour is better to go with the forest green fleece that she usually wears when the church is cold.
One done, one more before Sunday !

1 comment:

Silvia said...

Ah the heady days of student choices!!! I remember my DD and what problems she had...and it wasn't until her 3rd year at Uni that she hit the nail on the head and managed to find the branch of jewellery she wanted to go into.
Your fetching look lovely and I bet they will keep your friends hand warm