Schools have changed a lot since I was a kid. Some of the changes are very good: I was impressed today when I met J2's guidance teacher for a brief chat about how she is settling into High School. Just for that, no other reason.
I don't think that my parents had the opportunity to meet my teachers until I had been at school for several years and needed to choose GCE's, parents only went up to school if there was a problem. It seems so much better to be able to build up a relationship with the teachers before any problems develop. Of course J2 has settled in well, is interested in all her new subjects and has made new friends, so I couldn't ask for a better start for her.
An hour later I was getting my own guidance from the (mostly) pensioners at the Day Centre. They are such a great bunch, full of life and bounce, full of concern for each other, helpful and friendly,and they even let me win at dominoes today. (I dare not try whist yet, I don't know if I'm up to it.) Amidst all the doom and gloom in the world it's good to be able to have a laugh and a joke with some new friends.
A joke from Alec (70) :
' A man asks his elderly father to tell him how he wants his funeral to be sorted " I know your favourite hymns Dad, but I don't whether you wish to be buried or cremated, which is it to be?" " I don't know" his father replies " surprise me!"
No comments:
Post a Comment