Saturday, 3 January 2009

Brrrr! I'm a big softie!


so the decision was made to cast on the quick cardie from Sirdar's "Big Softie Knits for Beginners".

January and February can be very cold months and I don't like the cold at all! (why was I born in the UK, why not in Spain? or Texas?) With this in mind, I thought I had better knit something quick and thick to keep me warm and then start on some woolly socks.

I'm using some red sparkly needles which were a freebie from Let's Knit and the darker shade of blue from this range. J2 still wants the polo neck sweater but the meringue shade hasn't arrived yet.

I've loaded up "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett from Audible onto my mp3 so I'm set for the next few days!

It's good to be getting into a routine again: yesterday I listened to Craftlit and we're starting "The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" which I'm ashamed to say that I've never read and I live in Scotland too! I know it won't be like the TV or cinema versions, in the same way that there was a huge difference between Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and the Hammer Horror versions of her Romantics story.
The third round of the FA cup started this weekend and Sunderland managed to beat Bolton 2-1. It's ages since we've had a good Cup run, and I love the romanticism of the FA cup, small clubs can get drawn against the big clubs & can do well. The Toon were in a goalless draw with Hull.
Today, it was Nottingham Forest (Championship strugglers) who beat Manchester City (The Richest Club in the World ©) 3-0 and Chelsea were held 1-1 by Southend (13th in league 1).

We've only won the FA cup twice, in 1937 and 1973. In 1973 we were the underdogs , up against the mighty Leeds. My Dad & my eldest brother got tickets for Wembley and travelled down for the match, more in hope than expectation and Mam made them a red & white striped banner with a black cat appliqued on to it.
They had a fantastic time in London while we were glued to the TV at home. I've never forgotten the excitement of that day.
Bob Stokoe, SAFC manager 1973.

No comments: