Thursday, 7 May 2009

basil,beans and blooms

the seeds that I planted last month are starting to sprout
-first up basil seeds in vermiculite.
I love the taste of basil, it reminds me of my first jaunt abroad 30 years ago to Rome. I loved the taste of basil in the sauces and how torn basil leaves were artfully scattered across the food instead of the more British parsley.

I think the basil will stay inside unless the summer gets very warm and dry. Last year was a wet summer and the little plants were drowned in their pots.
Next the Anabel French beans- right in the centre of the picture the first sprout is just starting to show.

It always amuses me that one seed breaks first ahead of the others, it's as if they need an "all clear" signal before they break through the compost.

The third picture shows the seedlings from the seed impregnated card which Erin sent to me.

It's going to be interesting to see what comes through- it could be poppies, cornflowers, sunflowers- who knows.
I always find it amazing that all the information for the plant to grow is contained in tiny seeds, and I'm always thrilled to see the little plants poke through the compost.
D was at various environmental meetings this week and is encouraging me to grow more vegetables, in fact he's keen for many more people to grow more stuff. So it shouldn't be too hard to persuade him that we need a small greenhouse (for fresh tomatoes, yum!). Even our small garden can produce quite a bit without much effort- we just need a bit better weather than last year!
I'm busy sewing up the sides of J2's sweater and I'm going to have to recalculate the size of the sleeves. The first one I made was far too small and I thought that I might have a better of idea of how big it should be if the sweater's seams were done. Well, that's the plan anyway! I want to get this done so that I can get on with other things-I feel that Cookie A's Monkey socks are calling to me!

1 comment:

The Frizzy Hooker said...

hold on
what did you do with the cardboard rolls?

Your blog reminds me to pick up some onions to plant tonight.