Sunday, 3 May 2009

ups and downs


I enjoyed listening to the Championship matches today more than Sunderland or Newcastle's matches, which were dreadful.
It was the last day of the season for the second tier and there was still a lot to play for. Although Wolves were already Champions the other automatic promotion place was still up for grabs. The final winners were Birmingham (with an old Sunderland player Kevin Phillips helping them to victory. I wish he played for us now!) .



Then there was a robust fight over the 4 play-off places, with Preston nicking the fourth place from Cardiff by a very slim margin- they had the same points (74), the same goal difference (+12) but Preston had scored more during the season than Cardiff (66 to Cardiff's 65).
Sheffield United, Reading, Burnley & Preston will compete for the last promotion place.

At the other end of the table, Norwich joined Charlton and Southampton in the relegation places. It's only 4 years since Norwich and Charlton were in the Premier League. Good grief!


I feel like I have to keep an eye on the Championship League (not the Champion's League, sadly, it would be a miracle if either team were in that) as Sunderland and/or Newcastle could be playing in it next year.

After today's dismal performances maybe we/they deserve to go down. There's 3 games left, Sunderland are 16th with 35 points (4 from the drop) and Newcastle are 18th with 31 points (3 points from safety).

I know how the Wolves' fans feel, and I know how the Norwich fans feel too. Football is a terrible game, it really is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my sis and her boyf are still celebrating Wolves' promotion.

knitternicky said...

It's a great time for Midlands football :0). Although I'm an Aston Villa fan it will make for some interesting derbies with Birmingham City And Wolves. Just hope the baggies (West Brom)can do it now and stay up!
I am very sorry it is at the expense of the northeast teams though!