Monday, 31 August 2009

it's a dog's life





My dog Megan is 9 today and has enjoyed playing with her new toys (a squeaky bone and a grunting piglet), scoffing her dog treats and eating left over roast chicken complete with the crispy skin.

Her new toys will last only marginally longer than the treats as her strong Labrador bite demolishes most toys pretty quickly (the record so far is 20 minutes- one Xmas she managed to split a toy and break the squeaker in 20 minutes! ). She has some made from very tough rubber, but they don't squeak, and she loves to marmalise a squeaky toy.


I've managed to pick up my crochet today (despite being harassed by the kids to help with their homework- eh? I think that they are trying to mess with my mind) while listening to the football. Newcastle are now top of the Championship having beat Leicester 1-0 tonight, Sunderland were beaten by Stoke 1-0 on Saturday (we must learn to defend set pieces and corners).

I don't think that D and J2 will be renewing their tickets, although they may go to a match occasionally, as J2 has decided to play rugby for his school (I think they were short on numbers as he's very skinny), so his Saturdays are devoted to his matches and he goes to training 2 nights per week too. I'm going to have to learn a bit about rugby as I'm a bit sketchy on the rules and tactics.

D played at school too, so he knows what's what and can talk knowledgeably about it, but my brothers never played it, and in my day girls were not allowed to play rugby (I was so pleased when touch rugby was introduced to primary school kids and J2 got to play- she loved it! I wish I could have done that too.)

Of course, we're not allowed to go and watch the matches..... Oh well, I'll just crack on with the hooks and needles!