Sunday, 24 October 2010

cushty!


monkeys worn with thermal leggings!

The English language acquires, adopts and borrows words from just about all the languages of the world.
Cushty (or cushdie) meaning happy, or very good, apparently comes from a Romani word. I've used that word for most of my life and never known that!
But when I put my new monkey two socks on my feet, it was just the right thing to say.
I'm extra pleased with myself as this is the first time that I've completed a pair of socks within a specified time- I didn't quite finish the Milos in time for the Winter Olympics, and I only got one sock finished during the FIFA World Cup, but this time I have completed a pair of socks for Socktober. Go me! I'm not going to be silly and try for two pairs in Oct 2011, I'm not that daft  (erm..)


soft and squishy

The Ralph hat for St Mungo's is finished too, and hopefully the recipient will feel how soft and squishy it is and will think it is well cushty too. I tested it for size on D's head, and as he has rather a large bonce, it should fit almost anyone.

I was full of cold yesterday so took refuge on the sofa with my knitting, the football coverage and then The Princess Bride.
My team didn't play well, but held on to a narrow lead and beat Aston Villa 1-0. It wasn't the most exciting of matches, Villa squandered a lot of chances, but we defended well. David's team, Newcastle, did much better, coming back from 1-0 down to beat West Ham 2-1 and provided a lot of excitement and action. Next weekend is the first local derby between Newcastle and Sunderland in a while - hopefully it will be exciting and high scoring, and my team will get the three points! I'd better just knit/crochet something easy while I'm listening to that. A dishcloth maybe!

I hadn't seen The Princess Bride before and enjoyed it a lot- I liked the whimsical humour. I've given up on watching Strictly Come Dancing- it has settled into an all too predictable formula, and I never liked X-factor at all. I like listening to people who can sing rather than the autotuned automatons that the show highlights. So rather than watching what most of the UK is engrossed in, Saturday evenings are now a chance for me to catch up on some films that I have missed.

So, a good film, a glass of wine and my knitting- sounds cushty to me!

4 comments:

The Frizzy Hooker said...

Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies.
Inconceivable that you have only now just watched it

FeltFinland said...

Cushty, wasn't that a Del boy favourite?!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Congrats! Two successful FOs in short order. If your mornings are as chilly as ours, your hand knit socks will be much appreciated.

Silvia said...

Del Boy used to say cushty all the Time....nowt wrong with that!! Why is it we seem to love handknit socks wayyyyy more than shop bought? Your Monkeys look smashing (that sounds odd)