The recent wet ( wet!? it's been monsoon-like) weather has kept the butterflies away from my garden but has brought out the slugs in droves. More like battalions, really.
My dwarf runner beans were doing very nicely, lots of flowers, and were still protected from the birds by my Beana Sharples* knitted nets, but the pots became the Club 18-30 venue for dozens of crazed slugs who decimated the plants in a matter of days while my back was turned. Well, my back wasn't turned as such but I was going out to walk the dog with my hood firmly over my head desperately trying to keep dry, so I didn't notice the attack until yesterday when I saw not a leaf, not a flower left, just some very thin frail stems.
All the plants were put in the compost bin and I am going to put out beer traps for the slugs tonight. The will be attracted to the smell of the beer and it will kill them.
As a final insult I am going to get the little b%&&^~s cheap beer.
* A tribute to one of the original characters in Coronation St, Ena Sharples , who always had a hairnet on her rigidly waved hair. I used to watch Coronation St when I went to stay with my Gran.
2 comments:
I hate slugs!
You go get those rotten slugs! Kill them all, then come here and get mine, please. They ate my hosta. When the kids were little I used to let them sprinkle salt on the slugs when I was really mad.
Post a Comment