Nicole Cooke won the first British gold in the women's road race. Through appalling conditions the cycling team stuck to their plan, Cooke had Emma Pooley as her pacemaker so that she could retain some energy for the last sprint to the finish. Cooke is the first British medalist for this event and the first Welsh person to win a gold for 36 years.Hopefully the media coverage will give cycling a boost in Britain and get more people to take up this great sport.
Then our swimmers made the medals too:
Rebecca Adlington (left) won the 400m freestyle final, with Jo Jackson getting the bronze.
The Olympics is wonderful, so many different sports that don't normally get huge media coverage (e.g. archery, fencing ), so many athletes who train so hard for their big challenge. So many countries excited for their team. When its good, its very very good.

Time for a fit bloke: the amazing Mark Phelps who is hoping to get 8 golds, beating Mark Spitz's 7 golds in 1972. How many girls' bedroom walls were adorned by that iconic poster of Mark Spitz, his trademark 'tache and his 7 golds? Quite a few I would think!
I took Passionflower down to Mam & Dad's and got a few rows done will catching up on the Olympic highlights: I was impressed by Rachel Cooke's attitude, when she was asked about the heavy rain , she just replied that it was the same for everyone and praised the support given by Pooley & Laws.
I was astounded by the basketball: the USA vs China was a fascinating game and apparently watched by more than a billion people, ( the score was 101-70). I'm quite a wee person, 5'0" is all I've ever managed, and when I saw the players I felt like I was not even from the same species. One of the Chinese players Yao Ming is 7'6"!

No comments:
Post a Comment