Tuesday, 19 August 2008

everybody loves Chris

well, Christine Ohuruogu anyway.
She won 400m gold beating the favourite US runner Sanya Richards.

Chris was banned from competing for missing, not failing, drug tests, but she successfully argued that the tests were missed because of changed venues and not because she had something to hide.
Last year she became world champion, but Sanya Richards didn't compete there. This was the real test, could she beat her rival?

She ran a steadier race and Richards faded at the end while Chris sprinted past the Jamaican runner Shericka Williams (silver). A fantastic race, a worthy winner.

Chris Hoy is much loved too, getting his third cycling gold, and in floods of tears on the podium. Edinburgh is very proud of its favourite son.

Victoria Pendleton got the sixth cycling gold. This is so good for cycling, it doesn't get enough coverage in the UK, but maybe it will now that we have some stars! In 1992 we had Chris Boardman and that was about it, and we all thought he was a bit bonkers ( but we loved him too)





Being an island nation its no surprise that we have a lot of sailors.

Paul Goodison had a dreadful games in Athens, but he made up for it today by winning sailing's Laser class and claimed our 13th gold in Beijing. He was thrown in the water to celebrate and carried out of the water in his boat by his teammates!
So I've had a fantastic afternoon watching the Olympics coverage as I made some progress on Passionflower. I'm itching to cast on some socks though. I bought some more Regia sock wool at John Lewis' today as well as an old Rowan pattern book and I picked up a copy of Vogue Knits (Fall) to read in the Costa Cafe. I had to get J1 a new violin case so I was carrying it around Edinburgh on my back. I was hoping someone might mistake me for a famous musician, but that didn't happen. Odd that.



No comments: