Monday, 16 February 2009

3rd time lucky

I must have been a wee bit too confident casting on the second sock straightaway...SSS (second sock syndrome) ? Hah! What's that?

Well... I have discovered a new condition : HFF (heel flap flap). I was blithely about to turn the heel on sock 2 when I realised that my stripes were massively out of synch and looking back I saw that I had miscounted the cuff and there were 4 rows too many in that. So, time for a frog chorus (ripit ripit).

Take 2: chatting away to big bro M on Saturday night I knit the heel flap and put it down to take it to Mam's on Sunday. Before we set off I checked I had everything and realised that I had knit the flap on the 2.5mm needles instead of the 2.00mm. cue rendition of the frog chorus again.

Take 3: re knit the flap on 2mm needles (or "cocktail sticks" as my Mam remarked in amazement) on Sunday and finally started to turn the heel....phew. The stripes aren't perfect, but 3 times is enough!

My family were quite fascinated by the sock knitting, admiring the construction of sock 1, the bold stripes and the teeny needles. They are always interested in stuff: they might not want to do it themselves but they are intrigued ( which is nice!).

I'm aiming to get my knitting to such a high standard that I can my Mam something in 3 ply, she likes fine knitwear, not chunky, and she might like lacy socks, but not mad stripes like me!

No comments: