
Over the past couple of days I've been listening to two very different science fiction writers H.G. Wells and Ted Chiang.
I was fascinated by The Invisible Man, and only had a sketchy idea as to the plot (probably influenced by seeing part of the film as a kid). The protagonist, Griffin, is almost albino and, probably because of being so unusual in appearance, devotes time, energy & other people's money to developing a way to become invisible. Griffin not only wants to be unseen but also wants to wield unspeakable power over everyone else.
I was surprised by the violence in the story, and Griffin's callous indifference to other people & the suffering that he causes them. H.G. Wells was a fascinating character, almost entirely self-taught, a pacifist, a socialist and a free thinker. If I was stunned by the story I can only the imagine the sensation that it caused when it was published over a century ago.
Ted Chiang wrote Exhalation which has been nominated for a BSFA by the Starshipsofa. This is a fascinating account of a different universe, where everything is powered by air and differences in air pressure, and the narrator has discovered that the the air pressure is approaching equilibrium which means the end of life in his universe.
I was fascinated by the entire scenario, so much so that I'm going to listen to the story again (and that's a first for me! Usually stories have to wait a few years before they get a second chance, and not many get to that stage - Austen, Dickens, Hardy & Pratchett being an honourable few). I'll certainly be on the lookout for more of Ted Chiang's work, and be raiding the library for more classic sci-fi.
I'm in a fortunate position where I have access to so much good literature and the time to enjoy it. Maybe that's because I'm selective in my viewing habits, so much of British TV passes me by: reality TV, soap operas, celeb lives..... I'd rather have a good story anyday!!
2 comments:
We are definitely kindred spirits. I always prefer a good book. That's why it takes me so long to watch our rental movies.
Check your digital library. My public library has been adding classic novels to its audio collection
Post a Comment