Tuesday, 28 April 2009

has-beans

I set some bean seeds today (Annabel dwarf beans), here they are snuggled down in their individual toilet roll tubes on the utility window sill.

Planting bean seeds in loo rolls is not as eccentric as it sounds, as it means that the roots don't get entangled and there is hardly any disturbance when they are planted on. Some people have expressed concern that the cardboard might be treated with fungicide (and hinder growth) but I've never had problems with this technique. I've not tried these beans before, they seem to grow very slender pods (pencil pods), so we'll see what the kids make of them.
I also set some basil seeds today. I've not had much luck with basil so far, last summer was too wet, so this lot might just live insidein the warmth.
D and J1 went to Newcastle last night to see their beloved Toon fail to score and only win a point. It was very depressing for them. Too many of their players ran out of steam and although they had chances, no one was on target.
There is still a chance that the Toon will avoid relegation, but it's only a slim chance. Newcastle are 18th on 31 points, 3 points from safety.
I did manage to get quite a bit done on J2's Payton sweater while listening to the match on 5live. The right front neck shaping is done and I've started on the left.

2 comments:

Bee said...

I love it ! I was listening to a gardening programme on radio 4 a few weeks back and they mentioned this. I think its a great idea, and green too!

The Frizzy Hooker said...

Perhaps I will attempt beans this year