I got a late birthday present today, and very welcome it was too.My pal A gave me a huge box of chocolates and a wonderful Bagpuss mug. Three things that I love: chocolate, coffee and a fat furry catpuss .
Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss
Old Fat Furry Catpuss
Wake up and look at this thing that I bring
Wake up, be bright, be golden and light
Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing
Emily, the little girl, used to s
ing this song and the toys would come to life.I used to love watching this on TV when I was a kid, and of course when I had kids of my own I bought the video for them to watch too.
It reminds me of more innocent times, of curiosity, of strange tales, and now with this great mug for my coffee, of friendship, the best thing of all.
The programme always ended with this:
And when Bagpuss was asleep,
All his friends were asleep.
The mice were ornaments on the mouse organ.
Gabriel and Madeleine were just dolls.
Professor Yaffle was just an old wooden bookend in the shape of a woodpecker.
Even Bagpuss himself, once he was asleep, was just an old, saggy cloth cat,
Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams,
But Emily loved him
3 comments:
I used to love Bagpuss! I used to watch whenever it was on when I was a child! I also need a new mug, my favourite mug and the one I will only use,it has no handle so everyone burns their hands when they try to carry it, but, I am not buying a new one until I find one that I really like! I am sooo jelous of that box of chocolates! What a good freind to give you such a lovely pressent!
My favorite show was Kroft Superstar Hour. I think it came on for one summer.
Hi Suse! I'm coveting your Bagpuss mug. I loved Bagpuss as a kid and managed to get a toy one several years ago on a visit to Edinburgh from Norway. Naturally he has moved with me to the US.
Post a Comment